Saturday, October 13, 2012

PVC Candles

I made these PVC candles to dress up a shelf in my kitchen and I love how they turned out!

I started off by heading out to my husbands family business  to swipe some PVC pipe scraps, I was caught by my husband and had no choice but to beg him to cut them to the lengths I wanted, and he did! What a sweet heart!

When I got them home I filled them with the spray insulation  that you use to fill in cracks. Be careful because it can swell and come out the top, if this happens just saw it off with a knife-carefully.


If you want you can cut out a spot to set in a tea light.

The fun part is dribbling hot glue down the sides of the PVC. Use a cookie sheet turned over so you can let it puddle on the bottom, it looks more realistic. I let it cool and then did another layer. Be sure and mix it up a little, don't do every candle the same.

I know what you are thinking, I have gotten a little carried away! You can never have to much of a good thing-right? See how good the puddles look?

When I got done with the hot glue, I just painted them with good old tole paint. You can paint them any color you choose, I did white because I can use them with any holiday.

I put them on a high shelf in my kitchen so I didn't put tea light in them. I also found this silver platter at a thrift store for $2.00 and painted it with a chalk board paint. The ghost was painted by my dad probably 30 years ago.

I think it turned out wonderful! It is something that everyone comments on when they come into my kitchen, and I love to tell them how they were made.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - those are really cool! A fun activity to put my girls to work at when they're home for Thanksgiving break. :D Thanks for taking the time to write up a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your sweet comment! Have fun with your girls!

    ReplyDelete